Trends in networking and connectivity
From Higher Computing Science
This article is unfinished. Please consider joining and adding to this article. Read about Page layout beforehand.
- Internet connections have become more common. Broadband is now in the majority of UK households, and data access through the mobile network using 3G or 4G data has increased dramatically.
- More data is available to users for less. Companies are willing to provide "unlimited" data to many users, or set data limits of several gigabytes per month.
- Internet connections are faster. Broadband connections are commonplace and the average speed of UK broadband in 2014 was 18.7Mbps. The average speed in 2008 was 3.8 Mbps.
- More data is stored online in cloud services, including photos and documents.
- More devices are Internet-connected, including smartphones, cars, GPS devices, televisions, DVD players and even lightbulbs and central heating controls.