From Higher Computing Science
This article is unfinished. Please consider joining and adding to this article. Read about Page layout beforehand.
- There are three main components to the processor: The ALU, Registers and Control Unit
- The ALU (Arithmetic and Logic Unit) is the part of the processor where logical operations and calculations are carried out.
- The Control Unit is used to control the flow of data between the processor and memory. The Control Unit interacts with the control bus to do this.
- Registers store single items of data while they are being used in the processor.
- A register called the Program Counter keeps track of the location of the current instruction in memory.
- A register called the accumulator is used to store the result of any calculation.