From Higher Computing Science
This article is unfinished. Please consider joining and adding to this article. Read about Page layout beforehand.
- The control bus is a set of discrete lines that all indicate what more the processor is working in.
- The read line on the control bus is set when a read operation is to be carried out
- The write line on the control bus is set when a read operation is to be carried out
- The clock line is switched on and off to provide a synchronising pulse for the processor to use when coordinating the movement of data
- The interrupt line is used to change the state of the processor by replacing all the values in its registers (this is how programs can be switched)
- The non-maskable interrupt line is used to change the state of the processor even when another program wishes to use the processor
- The reset line zeroes all data in the processor and buses