Computer Misuse Act
From Higher Computing Science
This article is unfinished. Please consider joining and adding to this article. Read about Page layout beforehand.
- The Computer Misuse Act was established to make "provision for securing computer material against unauthorised access or modification; and for connected purposes."
- The Computer Misuse Act's aims to protect computers from being hacked (unauthorised access) or from being attacked by a virus (modifying computer material).
- Unauthorised access to a computer system is punishable with up to 6 months in prison or a £5000 fine, but this increases to 5 years if intent to commit further crime is demonstrated (e.g. hacking an account to steal money)
- Link to Computer Misuse Act page on Wikipedia
- Government legislation page for the Act
- SQA's page on Computer Misuse Act for HN Computing course