Category:Complex data types
From Higher Computing Science
- An array is an ordered sequence of simple data types, all of the same type
- A string is an array of characters. Most languages treat strings differently from arrays, because text is commonly used and manipulated in a program.
- A 1D array has a single index (0,1,2,3,4 etc) to identify each item in the array
- Some programming languages index arrays from zero, others start at 1.
- A record is a data structure that contains values of different types, e.g. a record of type Person could consist of a name (string), address (string) and house number (integer)